Join one of the world’s strongest job markets by pursuing a practical nursing degree. Fort Myers is home to the newest, most state-of-the-art medical training facility in Florida – Immokalee Technical College. At iTECH, our practical nursing students learn from lab activities, clinical practicum, and certified professional teachers to become licensed practical nurses (LPNs). Our college has the resources you need to launch a successful career as a practical nurse. Visit our About page.
How Our Practical Nursing Program Works
At Immokalee Technical College, we believe in training our students with a rigorous combination of classroom learning and hands-on educational experiences. We created our cutting-edge training facility and public storefronts to give practical nursing students the opportunity to learn the skills they need in multiple ways. Our beautiful new facility has a practicing medical office that’s open to the public on regular school days. The iTECH on-campus medical office enables students to earn a practical nursing degree in Fort Myers while gaining real-world experience.
When students sign up for Immokalee Tech College’s Practical Nursing program, they join an innovative education model unique to our campus. Read about the program for yourself. The program’s content includes theoretical instruction and clinical experience in dozens of areas, including:
- Acute care
- Administration of medications
- Body function and structure
- Community, family, and personal health concepts
- Current issues in nursing
- Geriatric nursing
- Human growth and development
- Interpersonal relationship skills
- Legal aspects of nursing
- Long-term care
- Medical nursing
- Mental health concepts
- Obstetric nursing
- Pediatric nursing
- Surgical nursing
- Vocational role and functions
Immokalee Technical College strives to give students pursuing a practical nursing degree in Fort Myers a well-rounded, comprehensive nursing education. The 1,350 required hours to earn the iTECH certification serve to introduce students to all these concepts and more, until students can demonstrate proficiency enough to pass the National Council for Licensure Exam for Practical Nursing. Students are prepared and eligible to take this exam once they’ve successfully completed the Practical Nursing program’s competencies.
Courses Students Take on the Journey to Becoming LPNs
When you enroll in iTECH’s Practical Nursing program, you must successfully pass five occupational completion points (OCPs) to earn the certification. Students pursuing practical nursing degrees in Fort Myers will take these courses at Immokalee Technical College:
- HSC0003: Basic Healthcare Worker. This course introduces students to health professions. The state requires that all health occupation programs offer this course. Students learn communication skills, ethical responsibilities, confidentiality issues, computer literacy, employability skills, and legal matters relating to the health care field. They also learn to respond to emergencies and control infections, such as blood-borne pathogens. Students receive specific training in domestic violence, prevention of medical errors, and HIV/OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) blood-borne pathogens. 90 hours.
- HCP0121: Nurse Aide and Orderly. Students learn to assist clients/residents in health facilities. This includes taking vital signs, assisting with non-invasive procedures, and aiding in daily living activities. This course takes place in the classroom, laboratory, and clinic. 75 hours.
- PRN0091: Practical Nurse, Part 1 of 3. In this course, students get an introduction into the nursing process and culture. Students learn written and verbal communication necessary for nursing, as well as computer literacy. They also learn nutrition principles, ethics, human growth and development, end of life care, anatomy and physiology, aseptic techniques, safety functions, patient physical comfort, personal patient care, and fundamental nursing procedures. Students will assist with patient care plans. 285 hours.
- PRN0092: Practical Nurse, Part 2 of 3. Students learn advanced practical nursing techniques, including pharmacology and how to administer medication. They also learn nursing principles to care for medical, surgical, and oncology patients; infection control; and preoperative and postoperative care. 450 hours.
- PRN0096: Practical Nurse, Part 3 of 3. Students learn patient bio-psycho-social support. This includes how to care for maternal and newborn patients, pediatric patients, and patients the community cares for. This course highlights employability, leadership, and organizational skills relevant to practical nursing. 450 hours.
The Florida Board of Nursing mandates that students pursuing practical nursing degrees in Fort Myers and elsewhere spend 50% of course time or more in clinical areas and sites. Laboratory and clinical time is integral to Immokalee Technical College’s Practical Nursing program.
Admissions Requirements for Our Practical Nursing Program
To join iTECH’s Practical Nursing program, students must adhere to a few admission requirements. Potential students must be at least 18 years old and hold an accredited high school diploma or general education development (GED) degree. Applicants must take the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) and score at least 54%. An applicant may only retake the TEAS three times per year. In addition to the TEAS, an applicant must also submit a written essay on a selected topic and score at least a 6/10.
Download the iTECH student application and turn it in with your TEAS and essay scores. You’ll also need to complete a physical examination and bring in documented proof of your current immunizations and tuberculosis screening. Before admittance into the program, iTECH policy requires applicants to undergo a Level 2 Background Check and Drug Screen with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.
Furthermore, applicants need to hold a current American Heart Association cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) card with Health Care Provider basic life support. An American Red Cross-affiliated CPR card works as well, as long as the course is hands-on. We do not accept online CPR course certifications. To remain in iTECH’s Practical Nursing program, students must maintain at least an 80% academic grade average. Students cannot miss more than 10% of scheduled class or clinical time to remain in the program.
Launch Your Practical Nursing Career
If you’ve wanted to pursue a practical nursing degree in Fort Myers, take the opportunity to apply at Immokalee Technical College. Students come to us for exceptional education and practical nurse training. Students who receive our program certification are prepared to pass the state exams to become LPNs and work in hospitals, clinics, rehab centers, extended care facilities, hospice, and other health care settings. Contact iTECH for more information about pursuing a practical nursing degree. Fort Myers residents can call (239) 377-9900 to speak with an Immokalee Technical College representative.